Friday, March 13, 2009

The economic Naturalist by Robert H. Frank


I really was looking forward to reading this book. I just finished Social Atom and I had great expectations about the title and its premise. Even though I am trying to take each book individually, so I can enjoy the merits away from comparison. The truth is, this book didn't impress me. Perhaps I am not its target, maybe I wasn't in the mood.

The author is a economics teacher and in his class he gives an assignment to use a principle or principles, discussed in the course to pose and answer an interesting question about some pattern of events or behavior that the students have observed.

But asides for a couple of revealing questions, the rest lack interest for me. Or I lack interest for them, which seems more accurate.

The book offers explanations based on cost benefit principle, (you should take an action if and only if the extra benefit from taking it is greater than the extra cost) and other economic theories. But coming from The Social Atom, it felt like all theories based on a rational interpretation of the human mind (which is the main approach used by modern economics to develop their theories) are flawed.

It was a quick read though and like it or not it tough me a good lesson; not everything is going to be equally enjoyable. But find joy equally in all things.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers