Friday, February 13, 2009

Things I've Learned from Women Who've Dumped Me by Ben Karlin

week five
Ben Karlin used to work at the Onion, The Colbert Report, and the Daily Show with Jon Stewart. And I can say without any type of shame that I would like to have his resume. He knows funny stuff and this book is a great concept: Let's ask other funny, interesting people about being in love and the lessons learned from being dumped.


I enjoyed reading it for the most part, and just like with the previous book, this book and I met, it seems, at just the perfect time.

I found a few things specially appealing, but perhaps not as funny as I had expected. But I am willing to admit that perhaps it is me who is not funny and the book is hilarious. Which it is very much a possibility.

bombs stop dropping on us
The concept is: through dumping, comes wisdom. I personally think that learning from mistakes, or learning from defeats, is an over rated idea. I think that most times, we don't know what hit us. And most times, even if we have a clue, we don't spend enough time rationalizing the causes. We spend more
time, with the support of our friends and family, emotionalizing and justifying. Which is all right. We need the heart more than we use the brain, I guess.

you get a lot more done during peacetime
These last 2 years have been so demanding that I feel like I finally have time to get things done. The good things. The ones that make your soul grow and put a smile on your mirror in the mornings.

stephen colbert is crazy and creative
I'm constantly surprised by him. Even when I least expected, he does something unconventional. I think his essay is one of the best, and perhaps the most creative.
I laughed out loud. In the subway, from Brooklyn to Manhattan... surrounded by people wearing headphones.

In movies relationships end with a jump cut
damian kulash has a good point. Most relationships linger and fade, most start great, but most need a jump cut, and some a dissolve. In most cases we all need some transiction with music by marc isham.

there is a song for every dumping.
I thought that Adam schelisnger had a very clever essay and made me think, actually there is a song for every moment of my life good and bad... maybe that's why musicians get all the girls.

if they is one thing that I am absolutely certain about in my life is this:

Novelty becomes drudgery.

Sooner or later, at one point, everything you wanted so desperately, that emotion of new and fresh and unique... it changes.
Now, I am not advocating it, or defending it. I am just saying that it is probably the only thing I know for sure, besides my mother's love and mine for my kids and family.

so there.

I liked the book, but I didn't love the book. Lincoln is a tough act to follow, but comedy was a good choice.

My main take away is that when men talk about relationships, specially about those where we get dumped, we all sound whiny and silly.
It seems that we learn the lesson way past the due time, and then is back paddling.
We are clueless about the opposite sex, but we make it our life's priority.
This book, even under the comedy tag, made me think about important concepts, and one more time, I'm happy I got something of value out of it.
I really hope I'm not that old when I learn my lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers